Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Unprotected Sex

I think I learned about sex and 'safe sex' in the same breath. No sooner had the concept of sexual intercourse taken root in my young mind than people in my life were begging me not to have it and if I did, God forbid, to do it safely. As a result I started having sex at sage 15 and started having safe sex about a year later. Teenagers are idiots.

Anyway, since then, I've only had safe sex. For most of my adult life I had double safe sex, using both oral contraceptives and condoms. For the last year since I went off birth control to get ready for when we'd trying to make a baby, we've used condoms consistently. But now, well, the glove is off.

Last week I went and saw my family doctor. He asked why I was there and I told him I wanted his blessing to start trying to conceive. I explained that after years of being told to have safe sex, I felt that I needed the blessing of some sort of authority figure before I could stop having safe sex. He laughed appreciatively and gave us his blessing.

Last night I had unprotected sex. Even though I know it's pretty unlikely that I'm fertile right now (I'm probably not ovulating for another 10 days), since we're officially trying there was no need for condoms regardless of how fertile I am. So we went at it bareback. It was hot.

When it was over, my husband sweetly told me that he hoped we'd made a baby. I hope so too.

And I laid there in bed and felt, well, kinda gross. After so many years of using condoms it felt foreign and all squishy and wet. And not in a good way. It will certainly take some getting used to. Luckily, I'll get plenty of practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment